Header image for Basic facts showing a Bricklayer building a wall

Home ownership

This page tells you how you can buy a part of the place you live.
HOLD stands for Home Ownership for people with Long-term Disabilities.

This is a way that someone with a disability can own their own home. It is run by some Housing Associations, which are Registered Social Landlords.

How does it work?

The disabled person finds a property they would like to buy. The Housing Association buys the property, so the disabled person only deals with them.

The Housing Association sells part of the property to the disabled person. They might be able to buy more of it in the future.

They rent the other part from the Housing Association, who look after things like repairs and making sure the property is in good condition.

The landlords who do HOLD are called HomeBuy Agents.

To see if there are any where you live, have a look at this website: www.homesandcommunities.co.uk

If you need support from Adult Social Care in your home, you should have this in place before you start to buy a house through HOLD.

What is good about HOLD?

There are some good things:

  • It is for disabled people.
  • It has worked well for lots of people.
  • It is secure - you can stay there for a long time.
  • You choose the property you live in.
  • The landlord looks after the property.

What is not so good about HOLD?

There are some things which aren't so good:

  • It can be quite complicated.
  • Not all landlords offer HOLD.
  • You might have to get a mortgage to pay for the part of the property you buy.
  • There are extra costs, like legal costs, to pay.

How is it paid for?

The disabled person buys part of the property from the landlord.

This can be paid for in one of these ways:

  • The person uses their own money.
  • They use money from a Discretionary Trust.
  • They get a mortgage. This can be paid for with Income Support.

The disabled owner rents the rest of the property from the landlord.

This can be paid for in one of these ways:

  • The person uses their own money.
  • They use their housing benefit to pay the rent.
Go to top

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Learning Disability England
Birmingham Research Park
97 Vincent Drive
Birmingham, B15 2SQ, England
Tel. 0300 2010455
Learning Disability England
Registered company: 4233275
Registered Charity No. 1092587